Monday, October 26, 2009

On Middle Ground

As I was driving to Landstuhl today for my 22 week appointment, I was listening to Casting Crowns on my iPod. The song "Somewhere In The Middle" came on and it made me do a lot of thinking.

Thinking about how many of us as Christians stand safely on the middle ground.

Why is it that we choose to stay caught in the middle?

Caught in the middle, somewhere between complete surrender and fear of letting God take control.

Afraid that if we surrender our dreams, our wants, our needs to Him that we'll loose control and never see those dreams come to fruition.

Why?

Why don't we realize that it's when we give up control and trade our dreams for the dreams He has for us that we're finally free? That fear, that control that we think we have keeps us from living the full life He has in store for us. His dreams for us are FAR greater than any our wildest imaginations could conjure up. We're selling God and ourselves short by not surrendering to the life He has in store for us. Yet, we continue to choose to live in chains.

We in our human nature are so foolish. Wouldn't it be easier to give up control? Why do we even want to hold on to fear, to struggle, to pain, to hoping that somehow, one day, we might finally figure it out?

We don't have to figure it out! He's already done that for us!

Why can't we see how blessed we are that we have a Father who loves us so much that He's willing to carry our burdens for us? We don't have to fear or struggle; God wants to carry our burdens for us.

He just wants us to surrender to Him so that we can live the life He has promised us.

A life of joy...

A life of love...

A life of laughter...

A life free from fear...

Free from worry...

Free from the struggle to "figure it all out"...

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of the struggle. Yet, for some reason, in my feeble mind, I find it easier to continue to stand on the middle ground.

After all, it's a lot easier to have deep water faith in the shallow end, isn't it?

I think it's time that I stop testing just how close I can get to my surrender without losing total control.

It's time to stop thinking.

It's time to stop waiting for God to be the God I want, instead of the God He is.

It's time to close my eyes and jump.

It's time to let Him show me just how great a life He has planned for me.

And to know that when I do, as great as I think my life is, it's going to get even better!

3 comments:

  1. Amen! So true, love you for sharing this post! Ironic that our human sense of control is a false sense, yet it's so hard to give up to the One who's truly had power all along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I always love when God shows us great things that we can share and bless others with :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wise my daughter, that at 29 (gosh you're getting OLD, yeah, I know, not as old as I am :)) you've come to terms with what took me MANY MORE years to finally wrap my faith around. Being the "control freak" that I am, it was much more difficult for me to finally let go. It took you moving half way around the world and your baby sister marrying and leaving home, for me to finally surrend. Feeling helpless and no one to go to, I released you both totally to Him. I had no choice. HE brought me to that moment, that place, when I had no choice but to say, "I can't protect them, I can't be there for them, I can't make everything all right, but you can FATHER. YOUR way, YOUR will". It was the most difficult, yet most freeing thing I've ever done. Yes, the "helicopter mom" handed you over to the ONE that had you all along. I was never the one that protected you, that kept you safe, HE did, yet somehow in my "mom mind", I thought it was me. Now I ask each day for HIM to wrap HIS loving arms around each of you, keep you safe and joyful and remind myself that HE loves you more than I ever could, HE gave HIS SON so you could live. You my child are HIS and have been all along. I was just the incredibly blessed woman HE chose to be your and Whitney's Mom.

    Always and forever

    ReplyDelete