I type this tonight in an almost empty house. Today, the movers came. They packed up and whisked away most of our belongings.
It's so bittersweet. Moving always is. God may call us to do this for another 23 years, but I don't think that will change. I feel like I'm leaving half of my world behind every time.
You get to a new place. You no know one, have no place to live, no bed to sleep on for a while, no pots to cook in and only a suitcase to live out of. But, you make friends fast. You make an empty house a home. You quickly learn where Wal-Mart, Target, the PX and Commissary are, and within the first week, you know the best restaurants in town. You put down roots and they grow fast and deep. You learn to not only survive in your new dwelling; you quickly begin to thrive. It's not just a place. It's home. It's where your memories are.
I have to admit, that as excited as I was to move to Germany, I was scared to death. I boarded a plane 31 weeks pregnant with our first child, just before Christmas, and flew across an ocean...to a place where the people didn't speak my language and where my family couldn't simply get in their car and drive a few hours to get to me if I needed them. I knew that my husband would be going to the field a week after we arrived and deploying 3 months after that. I felt more alone than I ever had in my life.
When those wheels left the ground, the tears started falling. I wanted my family. I wanted home...and I hadn't even left U.S. airspace yet.
Fast forward 10 hours and European soil appeared in my window. I still felt gut-wrenching sadness, but now it was mixed with a twinge of excitement. I walked off of that plane and into a new season of life.
It didn't take me long to fall in love with this place, just like all the others. We quickly made good friends, had great neighbors, and found a wonderful church home. I was just beginning to enjoy the culture (and unpack my household goods) and a beautiful little boy surprised us by coming a month early. Although I missed my family immensely, I was at home in this place that I have grown to love.
I love the culture, the opportunity for travel, the beauty of God's creation, the food, the romance, the alluring history of this land. I will miss everything about it.
My babies were born here. We brought them home, right here in the sleepy little town of Baumholder. For that reason alone, my heart will forever be tied to this place.
The good news is, the other half of my world is still waiting. Home. My real home. The place that no matter where I am is always in my heart. No matter where I go, I can't pretend that I've found something better than where I've been. It's who I am.
And I know that when I step off the plane next Friday, the smiling faces I'll see, the love I'll feel, will erase the sadness of my heart in leaving this place.
It's been a fast 3 years. Who knows, maybe one day God will lead us back to this place. If he does, I'll willingly go, but for now this beautiful season of our lives is nearing it's end. And as much as my heart is hanging on to this one, I look forward with joy to the one about to begin.
I leave this place with many wonderful memories. To those of you who have made them with us (you know who you are) we will greatly miss you. You have been our family for the last 3 years and you will always have a special place in my heart. Much love.
Until we meet again, my freinds...
Cinnamon Roll Bubble Bites
2 months ago
You made me cry! Such a sweet blog post. I know your Germany family will miss you guys immensely, but I know a family that will be overjoyed to have you and those beautiful boys home!
ReplyDeleteI know you must be super excited to move back to Leesville! I would love to go back there and I am not even FROM there! Your family has got to be overjoyed you are returning too! So happy for you and your adorable family! I can't believe Noah is so big already! I'm ready for that little boy ;)
ReplyDeleteWonderful post, Jordan, best wishes for you and your precious family during this transition. My stepdaughters lived in Baumholder with their mom for 8 years before making it back to the states when they finished high school on base, and it is a most treasured time of their lives. I know your family will be so happy to have you back and spend more time with those precious boys!
ReplyDeleteWow, this brought tears to my eyes! So happy for you as you begin this new journey and I cannot wait to hear about it. I will miss you here in the Baum! I really wish we had had more of a chance to get together :(. Love you lots!
ReplyDelete