It seems that with each passing day, my precious little boys do something else to capture my heart. It may be a huge gummy grin or sweet sound from Noah when he first sees me upon waking in the morning, or an unexpected hug or kiss from Brady. But, tonight, my B did something that will forever live in my most precious memories.
Buck was dressing him for bed after his bath. I walked into the room and when he saw me, he squealed with excitement. I walked up to his changing table, and he wrapped his little arms around me. He knew that it was time for bed.
He began humming a song to me as he patted my back and rocked me. Then he began to sing the words. It took me a second to figure out what he was singing. When I realized, tears began to roll down my cheeks. Buck stood there watching with tears in his eyes too.
From the time he was born, I have rocked him and sang the same songs to him, in the same order. After I put him in bed, I sing those songs to him. The first one I sing is one that my mother sang to me as a baby and young girl. She made up the words and the melody. I have never forgotten how comforting it was to be in her warm embrace, listening to the sweet sound of her voice, singing me to sleep with these words:
Buttons and bows,
And pretty blue eyes,
Sunshine and happy times,
Flowers growing wild,
I love my little [Brady],
I love my little [boy],
Always and forever,
My baby you will be.
My sweet little boy sang every word to me, just as I have to him every night now for 29 months. He patted my back, just as I have patted his little bottom each time. It was absolutely the most poignant moment I have ever shared with him. Perhaps, the most poignant moment of my now 30 years. I was stunned. Dumbfounded. Humbled. I have never felt more loved and adored. Never more aware of how my actions, my words, are absorbed and impact the lives of my children.
It was the perfect birthday gift. He couldn't have timed it better if he had tried.
The innocent love of a child, wrapped up in one sweet song.
As I put him in bed, I began to sing the song to him. This time, he sang along with me. As I began to sing the next song, "How Great Thou Art", he again matched me word for word.
As I lay there next to him, gazing at his precious face, listening to that sweet little voice, my heart was as full as it's ever been. I didn't want to leave him. I lingered as long as I could before the cries of another precious boy called me away.
What was this morning day that I didn't want to see come (as I realize that I'm 10 years from 40 and that they're coming faster than ever), turned out to be a day that I don't ever want to forget...all because of the love of a boy.
Cinnamon Roll Bubble Bites
2 months ago
Oh Jordan, how sweet a moment! I have a special song that I sing to my boys too, since the womb. Just wait until Brady sings it word for word to Noah in order to try and calm him. That will melt your heart as well!
ReplyDeleteThat is absolutely precious! You made me cry too!
ReplyDeleteWhen I read this story my heart completely melted, Jordan. I will always remember and treasure the day my son decided to sing his ni-night songs along with me, starting with Baby of Mine. My heart was just overwhelmed with love, as I realized that 2 year olds only have certain ways they are able to express their love, and this is most surely one of the most precious. So glad to read your story and remember my own!
ReplyDelete