Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Home Sweet Home

We're moving back to the states in August. Buck will be an OC (observer controller, for you non-Army speaking friends) at Fort Polk. We will be there for at least 3 years. That's the longest we will have been in one place in the 6 years we've been married. So, we decided to build a house.

Actually, we're not building it since we're still in Germany, but my mom, who is THE most amazing, wonderful, beautiful woman in the entire world, is overseeing the project for us. Because of her, when we arrive in Louisiana, we will have a beautiful, brand new house to call home. It is already proving to be quite the project since we have to communicate via email or the telephone so we can choose all that will go inside...flooring, paint colors, countertops, cabinets, fixtures, hardware, etc., etc., etc....But, she is doing it all without complaint and out of love for us. How lucky are we?!?!

The lot was purchased some time ago, but it took us a quite a while to choose just the right floor plan. We finally found one that had everything we wanted and construction began last week.

I realize that these pictures probably won't look like much to you. But, to me, they are the making of a dream. Our dream. Our little piece of the American Dream.

When I look at that dirt I see a home that will be filled with family, friends, love and laughter. I see precious memories being made and milestones being met. I see the yard in which Brady will probably learn to ride his bike and in which Noah will learn to walk. I see the smile on my boys faces and hear their laughter as they run through the sprinkler; their little cheeks red from the hot summer sun. I think that of all of the things about this house, I'm looking forward to the yard the most. Brady so loves being outside, so it's been hard here in Germany with the long, hard winters and not having a fenced yard for him to run and play in. Now, in just a few short months, he'll have plenty of room to roam!

When I look at that slab of concrete, I see the patio on which there will be many backyard barbeques for the neighborhood and where many family dinners will be enjoyed. I see the kitchen where I'll sit at the table across from my Mom or Dad and enjoy their company over a cup of coffee. I see the rooms where Brady will sleep in his big bed for the first time and where Noah will sleep in his crib for the first time. I see the place that we will bring home our third child, God willing.

For me, this is a dream that I've had for a long time. But, with moving so often, I never knew when, or if it would come true. Now that I see it finally coming together, I realize that it was well worth the wait.


9 comments:

  1. YAY!! That is so exciting! You will love it when he is an OC! Eric was around a lot more and we had lots of time together when there wasn't a rotation! Congrats on the house and I know it will be BEAUTIFUL!! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so excited for you!!!! I can't wait to hear about the details every step of the way as you prepare to come home to the United States!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not be happier for you guys! Very exciting! We've purchased but never built, and building our own home is a dream as well...having things just as you'd like them to be to share w/ family, friends and loved ones is so exciting! Congrats on the ground breaking. Oh, and your momma rocks! :) Can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting!!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait until our neighbors get here:) Hurry up Lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! I love all your imaginary events that will be wonderful once they truly unfold. Congrats :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Are you planning on teaching again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting?! Congratulations on the new home. Can't wait to see more! And I'm so happy for you guys to be close to family. I had no idea y'all were moving home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! I know you will be so happy to be home (and your family will be too!)

    ReplyDelete